CANADIAN TRACK DATABASE FEATURE ARTICLES GHOST SPEEDWAYS PHOTOS
Share
Canadian Race Track Database

Merrittville Speedway

Thorold, ON

Status
Open

Years in Operation: 1952-present

Name History:


Track Configurations:
1/4 mile clay oval (1952-1971)
3/8 mile clay oval (1972-present)

Notes:
  • Originally built by John Marino and George Cullen
  • Sold to Ken Kavanagh and Bill Russell in 1955
  • Sold to Stan Friesen and Kurt Uhl in 1971
  • The original wooden grandstands were replaced between the 1971 and 1972 seasons with steel grandstands from the recently closed Niagara Dragway
  • Bought in 1983 by Larry Honcoop, Randy Pickles, Len Bates and two silent partners
  • Bought by Alan Ley and Bryant Irvine in 1987
  • The tower suites were built in 1990
  • Bryant Irvine bought out Leys ownership interest in 1990
  • Purchased by Pete Bicknell, Randy Williamson and Jamie Friesen in March, 2003